How Big is the Canadian Poultry Industry? Canadian Chicken Industry Stats 2022
How Big is the Canadian Poultry Industry? 2022 Edition
The poultry industry, also knowns as the chicken industry, plays a significant role in the Canadian economy, notably in Ontario and Quebec.
At Carlisle Technology, we work with the most reputable poultry processing businesses in Canada and US. For that reason, our team worked on a comprehensive analysis of the Canadian poultry industry and show how big the industry so that entrepreneurs can gain insights into the future of Canadian poultry industry.
Also check out, How Big is the Canadian Meat Industry? 2022.
Canadian Poultry Industry 2021 at a Glance
- 2020 was a difficult year for the Canadian poultry industry
- Poultry production returned to normal in 2021
- Poultry producer expenses increased
- Poultry sales in Canada increased significantly in 2021
After a difficult year in 2020, according to figures on poultry and eggs released today, the production of these two important commodities largely reached pre-COVID-19 levels in 2021. While producer prices climbed in 2021 to meet greater production expenses, particularly increases in feed grain prices. On a positive note though, sales increased dramatically in 2021.
The number of eggs produced in Canada increased by 1.1 percent yearly in 2021 to 848.2 million dozen eggs. Since 2004, the amount of eggs produced in Canada has been rising annually. (Source)
How many chicken producers are there in Canada?
In 2021, there were 2,823 regulated chicken producers in Canada. (Farmers of Canada is the National organization that regulates the production and marketing of chicken in Canada). (Source)
How much chicken is produced in Canada?
1.30 billion kg of chicken (eviscerated weight) were produced by 2,823 chicken producers in Canada in 2021, with Ontario and Quebec accounting for 60% of this total.
In all, chicken production in Canada brought in $3.3 billion in 2021 or 40 percent of all cash receipts going to agricultural businesses. (Source)
How many Chicken Processing Plants are there in Canada?
In 2021, Canada has had 78 primary processing establishments, 40 of which are federally inspected, along with many further processors who depend on the supply of chicken for a portion of their business. (Source)
How much turkey was produced in Canada?
The most recent data we have for the Turkey industry is from 2020. Here’s what the governing body of Turkey producers in Canada shared for industry statistics:
- In the year 2020, Canadians ate 143.8 million kilograms (Mkg) of turkey.
- Turkey consumption per person in 2020 was 3.8 kilogram in Canada
- In 2020, Canadians bought a projected 55.3 Mkg of turkey and turkey-related goods at retail (excluding deli).
- 6 Mkg of those 55.3 Mkg were bought as whole turkeys.
- The total number of whole turkeys consumed by Canadian homes in 2020 was 7.0 million.
- In Canadian supermarkets, annual sales of processed turkey products and turkey parts climbed from 9.8 Mkg in 2016 to 11.6 Mkg in 2020. (excluding deli).
- Thanksgiving: Canadians bought 2.5 million whole turkeys for the 2020 holiday or 36% of the total number of whole turkeys sold during the year.
- Christmas: In Canada, 2.9 million entire turkeys were bought for Christmas 2020 equal to 41% of all whole turkeys that were sold over the year. (Source)
Which Canadian province produces the largest amount of poultry?
With almost 160 licensed turkey farms as of 2019 and over 630 poultry and egg farms as of December 2020, Ontario has the most registered poultry growers and producers in Canada.
MORE about poultry INDUSTRY:
Which country has the biggest poultry industry?
As for the poultry industry, The United States became the world’s largest producer of chicken meat with produced roughly 20.4 million metric tons of broiler meat in 2021. China came in second with 15 million metric tons of chicken meat produced in that year. (Source)
How big is the poultry industry in the world?
The size of the global poultry market is anticipated to increase from $318.58 billion in 2021 to $350.87 billion in 2022. At a CAGR of 8.9%, the size of the world’s poultry market is anticipated to increase to $493.21 billion in 2026. (Source)
Also, check out our articles on:
How Big is the Canadian Meat Industry? 2022
How Big is the US Meat Industry? 2022
How can Carlisle help?
Are you looking to start a business in the meat industry in Canada, or maybe you’re looking to expand your operation? We are the experts when it comes to food traceability not only in Canada but also in the United States. Our decades-long experience and stable market presence make us the perfect partner that you can trust when it comes to food traceability. Contact us today and speak to one of our industry experts to understand how we can become a growth partner for your meat processing operation.
Written by: Can Malay, SEO Specialist – Carlisle Technology
Sign Up for Our Newsletter!
Receive updates on products, customer stories, and giveaways!